Remote Pharmacy Services
Healthcare settings that utilize our services are relieved from the time consuming, costly and sometimes difficult process of pharmacist recruitment. Our services allow the hospital's on-site staff to spend more time on quality patient care and less time on clerical and administrative tasks. Our consultative process with prospective client organizations is focused on identifying opportunities to improve patient safety and reduce hospital medication costs.
Northwest Telepharmacy Solutions (NTS) services Family Health Teams in Ontario in order to ensure that each site has access to a strong clinical pharmacist. NTS pharmacists provide patient-centred care in collaboration with healthcare providers to aid patients in meeting their health-related goals through education and chronic disease management.
An NTS Pharmacist may be consulted by primary care physicians and allied health professionals for numerous issues including:
- Chronic disease management (i.e. diabetes, hypertension, congestive heart failure, mental health)
- Disease prevention education programs
- Medication review and education for discharged patients
- Evaluation and management of medication side effects
- Answering specific questions on effective medication options (i.e. drug information)
- Patient counselling on new medications
- Warfarin dosing & INR monitoring
- Providing pharmacist expertise for primary care team initiatives
Services for Family Health Teams can be provided on a regular basis for a predetermined day and time every week, or on an as-needed basis via Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN).
Hospitals that utilize our services are relieved from the time consuming, costly and sometimes difficult process of pharmacist recruitment. Our services allow the hospital's on-site staff to spend more time on quality patient care and less time on clerical and administrative tasks. Our consultative process with prospective client organizations is focused on identifying opportunities to improve patient safety and reduce hospital medication costs.
- Pharmacist remote profiling and medication review
- On-call service provides access to a hospital pharmacist for patient-specific drug information requests for all hours that the hospital's pharmacy is closed
- Warfarin dosing and INR monitoring
- Antimicrobial Stewardship program
- Medication reconciliation and comprehensive medication reviews
- Falls assessment program
- CIVA in a Box Solution (Centralized Intravenous Admixture)
- Gap Analysis for cleanrooms to comply with NAPRA standards
- Link in all options for Cleanroom redesign to solve issues
- IV workflow analysis and optimization
- NAPRA compliant policy and procedures customized to your centre
- NAPR compliant training content
- Offering #1 Workflow Management software for accuracy and traceability
- Telepharmacy support for your IV Workflow – 24/7
- Pharmacist participation on Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee
- Formulary management service
- Pharmacist evaluation of medication distribution processes to improve medication safety and compliance, hospital wide
- Provision of services to nursing personnel, allied health professionals, and physicians on relevant new medication therapies and hospital policies
- Implementation of care paths and preprinted orders
- Preparation and implementation of bedside medication verification
Transition of Care
Home Care Services
Our team of clinical pharmacists are part of the Rapid Response Transitional Team in a LHIN in Ontario and have shown decreases in emergency department visits and hospital readmission rates by providing pharmacist homecare services to high-risk clients who were recently discharged from the hospital. We complete a full review of the patient’s medications with reconciliation, identify medication-related issues, provide medication education and assist with medication management or smoking cessation support and follow-ups. We communicate and collaborate with the patient and members of the patient’s health care team to optimize medication use and improve related health outcomes.
Contact us if you wish to have a clinical pharmacist on your team to help the seamless transition of care from hospital to the community.
Long Term Care
North West Telepharmacy Solutions (NTS) services nursing homes and retirement homes through a new and innovative model of delivering pharmacy services.
- On-site Pharmacy Technician
- On-site Automated Dispensing Cabinets
- NTS supporting 24/7 Telepharmacy
NTS pharmacists bring strong long term care (in many cases Board of Certification in Geriatric Pharmacy), hospital and retail pharmacy background to the multi-disciplinary care of the residents. NTS pharmacists ensure that each site has access to exceptional pharmaceutical care around the clock.
An NTS pharmacist may be consulted by primary care physicians, allied health professionals and residents/powers of attorney (POAs) for numerous issues including:
- Quarterly and annual medication reviews
- Continuity of care
- Evaluation and management of medication side effect
- Assisting and facilitating de-prescribing
- Answering specific questions on effective medication options (i.e. drug information)
- Patient/POA counseling on new medications
- Warfarin dosing and INR monitoring
- Continuing education for professional staff and resident/families/POAs
- Providing pharmacist expertise for Medical Directives and policy formation
- Pharmacy Advisory Committee (PAC) input and representation
- Pharmacist-led medication reconciliation for all long term care admissions and re-admissions
Contact us to learn how your nursing or retirement home can benefit from 24/7 telepharmacy services.
Virtual Medication Reconciliation
Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
Accreditation Canada identified an Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP) as a Required Organizational Practice (ROP) in all acute care hospitals. However, the implementation of an ASP program in small hospitals is challenging due to lack of resources, formalized training and staffing structure.
Our team of expert pharmacists have implemented durable ASP programs in numerous small hospitals through a three-way process: (a) identifying system strengths and gaps, (b) identifying targeted improvements and (c) establishing metrics, tasks and workflow to enabling the ASP team to achieve their goals.
We have been able to implement and sustain ASP programs in small hospitals by using our experienced clinical pharmacists and specialists, to mentor and augment the service already provided by the existing hospital team.
Implementing a Paperless Pharmacy
Is your hospital transitioning from paper/faxed prescriptions to a scanning solution or an electronic medical record?
Northwest Telepharmacy Solutions has coordinated transitions between paper prescriptions to scanning solutions and electronic medical records for numerous hospitals. Our expert pharmacists ensure that the electronic solution is adapted to the medication circuit in your hospital and that the current workflow procedures are adapted to the electronic solutions. Throughout the process, our pharmacists ensure adequate communication between the different healthcare professionals thereby optimizing the workflow throughout the interdisciplinary team. In cases where the same electronic solution is being implemented simultaneously at different sites, our pharmacists also assist in the standardization of standard work procedures.
Opioid Stewardship Program
Opioid stewardship programs (OSP) are coordinated interventions designed to improve, monitor, and evaluate the use of opioids in order to support and protect human health. Northwest Telepharmacists are available to provide support to clinicians and patients on the appropriate prescribing of opioids for management of chronic non-cancer pain through telepharmacy.
The Opioid Stewardship Program is delivered by Northwest pharmacists with expertise in appropriate opioid prescribing which includes:
Prescriber education on appropriate opioid prescribing
Patient education on appropriate treatments for pain management
One-on-one interviews directly with patients to assess current pain management and develop goals and plan for appropriate pain management (including follow-up)
Reaching Accreditation Standards
Northwest Telepharmacy has been assisting small to medium size hospitals to enhance the delivery of pharmacy related services to meet or exceed Accreditation Canada Medication Management Standards for more than 15 years. NTS has been actively involved for Accreditation Canada surveys in numerous hospital clients, providing a gap analysis with a detailed action plan on how to meet the Medication Managements Standards.
Please contact us to learn more about the program and how to have a gap analysis completed as your hospital prepares for your next Accreditation Canada assessment.
Sterile Compounding - Gap Analysis and Action Plan
Has your pharmacy conducted a gap analysis of your sterile compounding processes and facility versus the NAPRA Sterile Compounding Standards?
NTS can help with conducting a gap analysis and provide an action plan to help with meeting the sterile compounding standards. A NTS member with sterile compounding expertise will conduct an on-site visit to review current state of sterile compounding workflow, processes and facility layout identifying any areas for improvement. Along with the Gap Analysis report, an Action Plan report will be provided to help the compounding pharmacy to achieve the required standards.
On-going expertise and assistance with development and implementation of policies/procedures and IV room is also available.
Northwest Telepharmacy Solutions (NTS) pharmacists provide non-emergency health information and advice via telephone for residents of certain provinces and territories. Patients can access trusted health information by calling our toll-free line.
Pharmacists provide medication related advice through a drug information line during the evening and overnight hours when local pharmacists are not available. Our pharmacists answer medication related questions such as:
- What are the common side effects of your medication?
- How soon will the medication work?
- What should you do if you miss a dose?
- Can you take over-the-counter medications (including natural health products) with your prescription?
- How should you store your medication?
- Is a medication safe to use while pregnant and/or breastfeeding?
- What should you do if you vomit a dose of your medication?
North West Telepharmacy Solutions (NTS) offers highly experienced hospital pharmacists 24/7 to respond to your institution’s on-call pharmacist needs, in a timely and secure manner. Our capable team has access to comprehensive drug information resources and call service options can be tailored to meet your site-specific needs. All calls and responses are logged and reviewed by the Hospital Professional Services Manager to ensure quality of service. Call reports are then provided directly to the client for a record and to ensure follow up when deemed necessary.
Call services include, but are not limited to questions or issues pertaining to:
- CIVA in a Box Solution (Centralized Intravenous Ad mixture)
- Formulary or drug supply
- Patient-specific or general drug information
- Pharmaceutical opinions
- Professional consultations
- Drug administration
- Drug interactions
- Drug identification
- Drug alternatives
- Adverse effects
- Drug-related incidents
- Therapeutic use
North West Telepharmacy Solutions (NTS) offers the clinical expertise of pharmacists in the Medical Cannabis and Recreational Cannabis industry. NTS’ sole focus is on utilizing our clinical pharmacists’ medication expertise using evidence based medicine practices to provide accurate and timely drug information. NTS does not dispense or distribute medications or cannabis.
NTS believes that within the cannabis industry there is a role for a clinical pharmacist to be involved with:
- Providing unbiased advice to patients and practitioners on the benefits of cannabis to treat/manage disease conditions
- Ensuring patients are aware of what adverse effects might be expected, and who should not use cannabis or particular strains of cannabis
- Providing drug information to patients and practitioners for potential cannabis-drug interactions
- Supporting adverse event reporting with cannabis use
- Developing FAQs and growing how anecdotal information is utilized
NTS currently has over 100 clinical pharmacists speaking multiple languages on staff, and has an established call center with robust telephony solutions to provide a 24/7 patient/practitioner information call service.