North West Telepharmacy Solutions (NTS) services Family Health Teams in Ontario in order to ensure that each site has access to a strong clinical pharmacist. NTS pharmacists provide patient-centred care in collaboration with healthcare providers to aid patients in meeting their health-related goals through education and chronic disease management.
An NTS Pharmacist may be consulted by primary care physicians and allied health professionals for numerous issues including:
- Chronic disease management (i.e. diabetes, hypertension, congestive heart failure, mental health)
- Disease prevention education programs
- Medication review and education for discharged patients
- Evaluation and management of medication side effects
- Answering specific questions on effective medication options (i.e. drug information)
- Patient counselling on new medications
- Warfarin dosing & INR monitoring
- Providing pharmacist expertise for primary care team initiatives
Services for Family Health Teams can be provided on a regular basis for a predetermined day and time every week, or on an as-needed basis via Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN).